About Elgon Wild life Conservation
Elgon Wildlife Conservation Organisation is a registered grassroots nonprofit conservation Organization in Uganda. EWCO works to ensure the delicate balance between the environments; biodiversity conservation and sustainable development in indigenous communities around protected areas in Uganda.
To promote biodiversity conservation through community engagement, recognizing the importance of engaging people in protecting wildlife, while supporting sustainable development using a holistic and multi-disciplinary One Health approach both of which are critical for the conservation of wildlife
Elgon Wildlife Conservation Organization envisions a world, where nature, wildlife and human beings co-exist peacefully
Our Core Values
True to our vision we believe that people are an important part of any ecosystem. Without healthy and economically secure communities around our protected areas, the areas remain under threat from grazing, hunting and such vices. Elgon Wildlife Conservation Organization -EWCO uses a unique approach of conservation through community development to achieve our vision. We work to improve the quality of life in surrounding communities by providing education, health services, safe water, vocational training and sustainable resource use skills in this impoverished and most densely populated regions around protected areas in Uganda
- To promote sustainable conservation of biodiversity, ecosystem health , and species genetic variation of protected areas in Uganda through community engagement ,research, agroforestry and advocacy
- To promote economic empowerment and entrepreneurship skills for women, vulnerable children and youth at household level through self-help projects, apprenticeship trainings and enterprise development for indigenous communities around protected areas in Uganda.
- To promote sustainable conservation of natural resources for the well-being of humanity and sustainable development
- To promote gender education necessary for advancing gender equity and equality in all its forms in indigenous communities around protected areas in Uganda.
- To provide support for research and ecological monitoring, education and information exchange related to local, national and global issues of biodiversity conservation and development.